Sunday, January 21, 2007

Philippians 4:6-9

1 Passage: Philippians 4:6-9

1 Verse: Verse 8. Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.

1 Prayer: Father, please help me today to dwell on good things. Give me an eye to see what is excellent and praiseworthy -- in You, of course, and also in others. Help me not to overlook the pure and lovely -- however small they may be. Help me to notice things that are right and reputable and worthy of honor. Help me to give the honor that others deserve -- Yourself included. Father, so often I think I am obeying this verse when I dwell only on what I believe to be true. And usually to my eyes, the truth looks anything but good. Usually, the truth seems to be that most things are false and wrong and imperfectly pure and far from excellent or worthy of praise, regardless of the reputation they may acquire. But even if things are like that, even if the truth hurts, even if there is now more wrong than right, You call me not to dwell only on that. You call me to dwell on whatever is good, however small and and beleaguered and feeble and frail -- if there is even only one tiny little thing. Father, please help me to obey that part of this verse today, and to give You credit for all the blessings You surround me with, even in the midst of many sorrows.

1 Person: Now, it's your turn! Please click "COMMENTS" below to add your own favorite verse and to share your own personal prayer from today's passage. (Your favorite verse and prayer might even be the same as mine, but we'd still love to hear from you. Feel free to just drop us a note so we know you stopped by.) Thanks!

Tomorrow's passage
: 1 Peter 4:7-11

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

1 Verse- Be anxious for nothing but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.

1 prayer- Dear Lord help me to not be anxious about the things that are unknown to me but let me keep a prayful attitude. I pray that instead of being anxious that I would instead bring it to you.


Ashley

Anonymous said...

1 Verse- Be anxious for nothing but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.

1 prayer- Dear Lord help me to not be anxious about the things that are unknown to me but let me keep a prayful attitude. I pray that instead of being anxious that I would instead bring it to you.


Ashley

Anonymous said...

1 verse: 7And (C)the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will (D)guard your hearts and your (E)minds in (F)Christ Jesus.
1 prayer: God i want to understand your peace and come close to you and experience it. help me gaurd my mind so that it represents you.

Anonymous said...

8Finally, brethren, (G)whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.

My prayer is that I and everybody in the world will do what this verse says: focus on the good things in life and not on all the bad things.